Perry Marshall – Google Ads Mastery 2021-22 Update 1
Are YOU Doubling in Brain Power Every Four Months???
No, of course you’re not. But Google’s Artificial Intelligence is! It’s doubling in power EVERY 4 MONTHS.
Maybe a few years ago some of the sharpest Google advertisers could pompously boast, “I’ll never be beaten by some machine!”
Those days are over. The machines have assumed control.
If you try to “beat them,” they will hand you your butt on a zip drive and say, “Thanks for playing, chump!”
That’s the bad news…
- You can’t beat the machines
- If you don’t play by their rules, you won’t get many…if any…impressions
- If you’re still managing your Google accounts the way you did 3 years ago, you are doing it WRONG…and it’s about to get even worse!
- Google will continue to announce big changes that make it HARDER to play with the machines.
Yes, indeed, Google is STILL Evil, and they have zero motivation to help YOU, the small business owner, succeed on their platform.
Sleep with BOTH eyes open.
And the news from Facebook is bad too…
Facebook has been turning the world upside down — Facebook dashboards are all over the place. People who thought they were making money on Facebook are finding out they are not.
Everyone’s mad…which means lot of people are moving money to Google.
There is Good Google News…
- You CAN still win on Google…playing by their rules…if you play smart while your competition plays dumb
- You CAN still manage, monitor, and even turn off parts of the machine…if you know which ones to turn off and when!
- You CAN still set up Google campaigns that do NOT require constant fiddling and tinkering…that still deliver a steady flow of leads and customers
(No traffic source is “set it and forget it” but compared to Facebook, Google is a dream!)
- You CAN still get a steady stream of profitable leads without having to constantly invent new ads, offers, and products
Yes, you CAN still win if you know how to play!
Google Still Has the Highest Quality Leads You Can Buy at Scale…Anywhere
Google Ads Mastery Will Help You Get Them…Guaranteed
If you’re still managing Google Ads the way you did 3 years ago…You need this.
If you want the “least-hassle” source of leads…You need this.
If you’re an online retailer…if you do any kind of ecommerce…You REALLY need this!
If you run an agency managing Google Ads for others, it would be irresponsible to think you don’t REALLY need this.
The modest investment in Google Ads Mastery will pay for itself over and over and over again. If you’re spending many thousands or tens of thousands a month, it will pay for itself monthly … maybe even weekly.
And we Guarantee it.
Six Modules to Google Ads Mastery:
Module #1: Bidding
- How the various smart bidding models work…and EXACTLY how to use them to maximize your returns
- What to do if you choose NOT to use them…be very, VERY careful
- How to give the machine the right “target”…and avoid MASSIVE stupidity tax
Module #2: Targeting
- The news of the death of Keywords has been greatly exaggerated…here’s what you need to know about them now
- How to “layer” audiences over your Search and Shopping campaigns
- How to navigate the Audience options for Google Display Network and YouTube
- Audiences and Smart Bidding…how to combine their power
Module #3: Messaging
- How to use Responsive Search Ads vs. Expanded Text Ads for search…and a big warning about RSA reporting
- How-to’s and Not-to’s for Shopping Ads, Showcase, and Local Inventory Ads
- Using Google Cloud Platform tools to get insight into what your customers think
- Responsive Display Ads vs Image Ads?
- Video: Trueview, Action vs Reach + Bumpers…are you up to speed?
- What’s up with Gmail?
Module #4: Date & Measurement
- Why data is uber important in a machine learning world
- Are you feeding the machine the right data, or putting garbage in and getting garbage out?
- How to import conversions for accurate data
- What you need to know about Google Click ID
- What to watch out for with Pay Per Conversion
- A look at Google Data Studio – Get Mike’s ROAS template
Module #5: Optimizing Your Accounts
- What you need to consider in your planning process
- How to scale your campaigns … what’s reasonable?
- ROAS or POAS?
Module #6: What It All Means for Your Future
- What these changes might mean for you as a supplier of ad management (either as an agency or a practitioner in this world)
- Explaining the My Client Dashboard
- Understanding the optimization score and the red badge
- What will your job look like in …2025!?
My “Watch-Your-Butt-with-Google” Rant… If You’ve Heard This All Before, Read it Again…
Once again, I cannot over-emphasize how confiscatory Google’s approach to customers is. It is NOTHING like a partnership or trusted agreement or fiduciary relationship. It is an all-out power grab (like the tax department when your state or province is nearly bankrupt and they’ll grab ANY money they can get for ANY reason).
Be VERY careful on the phone with Google. Every rep has a hidden agenda! Be especially careful with the alarmist claims they use to get you on the phone.
Be WARY whenever automated changes are made to your account. Google is getting grabby on that front.
Be careful to keep ad testing. It matters greatly, and Google wants to take that away from you. This is the advertiser’s equivalent of Free Speech (which is more threatened now than any time in the last 50 years).
Google reps are trained to believe that they know what’s good for you. They’re trained to look down on maverick advertisers who maintain their independence, and even feel sorry for you because you don’t listen to the advice they are offering. DO NOT FALL FOR IT.
Be careful with smart bidding. It’s not that smart. Seasonality, lapses in data, site downtime — they all can really hurt you with smart bidding. Phone calls may matter to you. Lifetime value may matter to you. Revenue and average order value certainly matter to you. Conversion-based bidding fails hard in all those regards, and revenue-based bidding is far from being perfected.
Be careful when it comes to attribution. Google’s by default changing it on you. You need to know what a conversion means. Did Google change the definition of a conversion on you? You can only compare apples to apples, and that’s one major issue if it has changed.
Remember, Google Ads (AdWords) conversions are only one way of looking at success; Google Analytics offers many other views, and all are valid, and you should probably look at success via several views. Google Analytics is as powerful as ever these days.
You are dealing with all of the ADVANTAGES and DISADVANTAGES of a technocracy. Google Ads is a complex civilization run by a combination of robots and bureaucrats.
First mover advantage with new ad features once had large benefits, like with getting access to, and adopting betas. There are times that’s still true, like with expanded ad copy fields, but overall that’s far less true today. You need to focus on the regions we’ve discovered give you the most control.
Google has taken the wide, long-term view on this, and in many ways control matters more than money (spend) at this point to Google.
Agencies were once judged on the amount of spend they governed; now they’re judged on adoption rates of Google’s most central (and often most nefarious) features, like smart bidding, ad rotation, attribution, and who writes copy.
Google has been buying AI companies the way a No-Carbs Dieter consumes potato chips and cheesecake on their cheat day. AI is tremendously hard to pull off (especially in advertising!!!!) but Google has tremendously upped their game in the last 3 years and serious AI advantages are available to you when you properly test Responsive Ad technology.
If you have never used Google Ads, or you abandoned Google Ads for Facebook a long time ago, you may want to come back to Google Ads because of the power of AI and Responsive Ad technology.
It is incredibly powerful when you use it correctly.